Saturday, September 12, 2020

Game Day

Today is the official opening of "football" season here in Norman, Oklahoma.  Twenty-five thousand spectators will fill the 85,000 capacity stadium.  The reduction is to allow for "social distancing".  I would imagine a few thousand non ticket holders will converge upon the campus corner where they will mingle among the bars and restaurants.  Can't imagine what could go wrong with that scenario.  Originally the city council had decided to limit the bars and restaurants to 30% capacity but later (due to pressure) increased it to 75%.  I realize businesses are trying to survive but to what expense?  Lives?

I read that Dr. Fauci doesn't see a return to some semblance of normalcy until the end of 2021.  In the mean time it is every man for himself.  I feel like a prisoner in my own home.  I know I'm in the vulnerable category and I know that no one is looking out for the likes of me.  So it is up to me to hibernate for another year and hope that I don't get careless.

Friends of ours contracted Covid from a backyard cookout.  Several couples had a get together outside, none wore masks, and over 30 people contracted Covid.  Our friend ended up in the hospital for a week but is lucky it wasn't worse.  These were young people in the 40's.  Most of them deny the virus threat is real.  Even after getting sick they still deny the seriousness of the threat.

I honestly think at least 500,000 people will die in this country before by mid 2021.  Who knows how many before it is in the rear view mirror.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Vermont is doing pretty well with keeping a low number of cases but we are warned twice a week by the governor and the health department to wear masks, wash hands and keep a physical distance. I think people take it seriously for the most part.

oklhdan said...

Olga, is Vermont a blue or red state? We are a red state and believe me a lot of people don't think it is necessary to wear masks. The only reason my town is doing better with the masks is because our Mayor put our a mandate that they are required in all businesses. Of course now a group has decided they want the mayor recalled.