Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I'm tired of my own whining so this is the last I have to say about my life.  My brother was released from the mental hospital yesterday without warning.  He was almost as psychotic as the day I called 911.  He had to be wheeled to the car in a wheelchair because he was so out-of-it.  To add injury to insult he came home wearing someone else's clothes and with an empty clothes bag.  The $200 worth of clothes I purchased for him are no where to be found!  I contacted an advocacy group for mental health and they are looking into the whole situation.  We were given no instructions didn't know when or what meds he had been given.  It was the worst imaginable situation you could think of.  Why can't the people in this country figure out that our healthcare system is completely broken???????  
Now my older brother and I are taking turns staying with him.  I get tonight but not until I get off work around 10:00 pm due to a meeting I have to attend.  I think I got 2 hours of sleep last night.

We took Mike to an intake at community mental health for outpatient services but he can't be seen by a psychiatrist until Jan. 11th and no services can begin until after he is seen by the doctor.   What the heck are we supposed to do in the meantime??????

My daughter's mother-in-law and my childhood friend died on Thanksgiving.  She was diagnosed with terminal cancer on the 16th of Oct. and didn't live long enough to receive treatment.  I just returned from her funeral.  

I'm not going to write anything again until I have something happy to write about!

6 comments:

Olga said...

Bless you! You are a strong woman. What a mess our mental health services are in--human services, generally. That's just not right, but the pwers that be seem uninterested in fixing this.

marciamayo said...

Dani, you will figure out something. You are smart and strong and loving. I'm thinking my good thoughts and praying my lapsed Methodist prayers. I'm afraid that's the best I've got.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am having problems realizing how uncaring that hospital is. No clothes, probably no meds, just dump him out. If you and your older brother weren't there, what would have happened to him? At least your older brother is helping out.
I am praying for you to have the strength for this ordeal and that you can find a solution that doesn't cost you your own health.

Anonymous said...

Oh My God, just when you think it couldn't get much worse, it got much worse.
Whine away, you need an outlet.
What a mess.
Geeze.
This is no time for you to cut yourself off, but I can see where you're coming from.
We're here.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The mental health system is truly broken! It astounded me that my mom's schizophrenic breakdowns were always "cured" in 30 days, coincentally the number of days her health insurance covered hospitalizations for
mental illness.

And let's not even talk about our insane committment laws. How can a family help someone who doesn't have the capability to realize they need help? It's not a breach of civil rights to force treatment on someone who isn't mentally capable of making an informed decision for him/herself. We realize this for children; why not for those mentally infirmed?

Your brother is lucky to have you. For those who don't have a loving family who contend with obstacle after obstacle, they end up on the streets with society having miserably failed them in the name of civil rights.

God bless you and Mike.
Ocean

kenju said...

It is unbelievable to me that it could happen in this country. I would write letters to every official from the dog catcher to the president. Hope you can return soon.