Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July was a lot of fun! We got there just in time for the cookout and as always the food was great and the company even better. We had an unexpected thunderstorm just about the time the burgers were done so the party moved indoors. It was nice listening to the rain while we ate. There were about 14 people there and the girls organized some fun games to play. Since I was considerably older than most of the guests it was interesting how the age gap manifested itself. One of the games required all present to put a person's name on 3 different slips of paper. The person could be anyone from history, politics, entertainment, etc. The names I put down were Helen Keller, Walter Cronkite and Julia Childs. Now mind you half the guests were age 24 - 25. The other half, with exception of myself and Ron were mid thirties and early 40's. The object of this game was pair up in teams and to put all the names in a bowl. The bowl was passed from team to team and each team had 2 minutes. A team member drew a name from the bowl and then set out to describe the person without saying the name. If guessed correctly the other team member then drew a name and it continued until the 2 minutes were up. Each team kept the names that were answered correctly. It continued around the room until all the names had been answered correctly. This was round I. Teams counted up how many names they had answered. Then all names were put back in the bowl and it started around again but this time you could only say 1 word to describe the person. After that round was completed you put the names back counted up your points and started again only this time you couldn't say anything you had to do charades. What was interesting was the age gap. Now these were all college graduates mind you but none of the 24 - 25 year olds knew any of my people. They didn't know who Charles Manson or Ted Bundy were either. By the time the game was over I felt 110 years old. However, the winning team was my daughter and Ron. So I guess age has its reward.

My daughter is having a Pampered Chef party tomorrow night. I've never been to one but I'm looking forward to seeing what it is about. From what I see in the catalog they have some nice things. I don't do that much cooking anymore so I don't think I'll be buying much unless it is for Christmas gifts. I need to get started on that list as I try to be finished before October. I enjoy spending the remainder of my holiday season baking cookies and decorating. I don't like shopping when the crowds are out!
Time is racing by as usual!

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

Oh, I can so relate. I love the blank stare I can bring about in a not all that younger a person with a reference to some one from my time slot. Big gap there but then I am not up on hip hop artists or young idols, so I guess we are even.