Saturday, March 21, 2020

Passing the Time



This is how we spent our afternoon yesterday.  Play monopoly (or a local version called Normanopoly) It's a monopoly board of our town.  What a time.  Mike had no idea most of the time about what was going on but he was having a blast anyway.  Every time I told him Ron owed him money he would just get so excited.  Of course if it went the other way and he owed one of us money he wasn't so thrilled.  

I was trying to find the video I made of Ron on St. Patrick's day.  I talked him into dressing up in green and dancing an Irish gig.  He loves Riverdance so he gave it a try.  Stiff arms at his sides and all.  I about choked from laughing.  He's such a good sport.  Anything to entertain his wife.

How to balance just how much news to watch is difficult.  You want to stay informed if anything changes concerning stricter isolation requirements but you also don't need to just get overwhelmed with bad news from around the country.  I just wish we had looked at China and their containment efforts and followed their example.  They haven't reported any new cases now for 2 days.  If we had acted immediately we would be in so much better shape.  It would have required more hardship on some but it would have flattened the curve ahead of the virus. 

Frankly I can't even listen to this Administration.  I can't trust one thing I'm hearing so I rely totally on local news and everything else from the CDC and WHO.  There isn't much to think about you just have to do everything you can to avoid exposure.

The number of cases is growing daily here in Oklahoma.  Certainly not at the level of NY and California.  We are more spread out and that helps a lot.  It's surprising at the number of young people who are getting sick and a lot more seriously ill than expected.

Today we are going to play another game with Mike and eat fried bologna sandwiches for lunch.  Trying to stretch our food supply a little further than usual since it has become harder to get groceries.  They haven't been able to keep up with the demand of all the panic buying.  Our hospitals are begging people to donate gloves, masks, clorox wipes and hand sanitizer.  Hopefully some of the hoarders will help out.  I only purchased 1 large bottle of hand sanitizer.  I have plenty of soap and water so figured sanitizer was only needed if and when we had to leave the house for something.

Well all, stay healthy and stay as busy as you can.  Share any tips you may have on coping with isolation.  There are a lot of folks who are completely alone.  

6 comments:

Florence said...

I’m so glad to see that you are back to blogging. I’ve been having so much trouble with Blogger that I’ve just about given up.

oklhdan said...

Florence I can certainly relate. It was just giving me a fit. I'm still holding my breath that I will continue to be able to login. I really need the cathartic reprieve I get from writing right now. Social isolation is hard especially if you are isolated from loved ones. Hope you are well and staying healthy!

Olga said...

The electricity went out here for a short while but I had to call Comcast to get my internet service back up and running. THe woman who helped me was very sweet and got me back on line. When I thanked her I also said "it's bad enough to be socially isolated, but being virtually isolated was just too much." It made her laugh and then she thanked me for my sense of humor. So yukking it up with Comcast has got to be a minor bit of silver lining to these times.
I watch or read a little news each day, just enough to find out if anything major is new. I do not listen to the WH press conferences. A limited diet of news is highly recommended.
Stay well.

lexie said...

Great to see you back. I always enjoy your blog. Thanks

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jamief1970 said...

Dang mom... I would have loved to leave a message for that A HOLE!!!