Monday, January 10, 2022

Keeping on in 2022

I haven't posted anything since September and I'd like to say that there is something new to report but unfortunately other than a new Covid variant everything is pretty much the same.  We are still staying away from people as much as possible.  We were fortunate enough to be able to spend the holidays with immediate family but are now keeping our distance again.  Both daughters were recently exposed to the virus at school so they are being very cautious and waiting to see if they become positive.  

Our existence has been plagued by one natural disaster after another.   Two hailstorms within 4 months plummeted our roof.  The second one was just weeks after getting a new roof installed and a new patio and cover.  Then about a month ago we had a water leak that destroyed the floor.  We are currently without flooring in the living room and hall and damaged sheetrock has been removed in the living room, we are waiting for the insurance adjustor to sign-off on the claim so we can begin repairs.  What a mess!

On a positive note, my lungs are better than they have been in over 6 years and for this I'm truly thankful.  Now if my knees would get on board.  I have been taking cortisone injections for a while and that has certainly helped.  Of course, the pandemic pounds we gained in the past two years have been counterproductive.  I'm currently trying to buckle down and lost the 20 pounds I gained.  Sure, isn't as easy to lose it as it is to gain it.  Not as much fun either.

It just seems like nothing comes easy anymore if it ever did for that matter.  I bought a new ceiling fan/light fixture for the living room and the electrician is here now installing it.  Of course, that isn't going without resistance.  They are in the attic figuring out how to install this thing as I speak.  Oh my, seems the previous one wasn't properly installed so of course this isn't going to be a smooth process.  After some discussion concerning the addition of wall switches etc., we finally landed upon a solution.  I'm just going to continue hiding out in the office with the dog until this project is completed.  Again, why can't something just be simple for a change?

Most of my friends have been touched by Covid in one way or another.  Either through infection or by the division it has caused in some relationships.  Our family has dealt with that division as some family members have chosen not to be vaccinated.  How do you continue to have family events if you do not feel protected?  Sometimes I feel personally responsible for the division being the most medically vulnerable one in the family.  I wonder if relationships will be lost because of the division sown by, in my opinion, politicians who have used a pandemic for some kind of personal political gain.  

I'm keeping my expectations for 2022 to a bare minimum.  No need to invite disappointment.


2 comments:

Olga said...

Low expectations is the way to go. I keep hearing things will get better but am still waiting for some solid evidence.

oklhdan said...

Isn't that the truth Olga! Hard to maintain confidence in anything.