Saturday, July 4, 2020

Happy Birthday America

Happy 4th of July!  Although it is really hard to find something to celebrate about in the midst of a pandemic.  Of course our commander in chief doesn't seem to have any difficulty in that department.  He's just gathering a few thousand of the closest enablers and throwing himself a party!  

Enough of that..............I can't even stand hearing from my own head anymore.  I've read too much and think too much.

I've been concentrating my thoughts on what to do to help my daughters prepare for the upcoming school year.  I'm preparing a list of purchases they will need such as hand sanitizer in bulk, disinfecting spray, clorox wipes, individual clear plastic boxes for each student to store their personal supplies (no sharing of supplies).  Disposable masks for those parents who show up unmasked and disposable gloves.  The list keeps growing.  So far I'm up to about $1000.  They are each given $200 to spend on supplies.  Of course most of the stuff will have to be purchased several times as supplies run out. Oh in addition each of them need no touch thermometers.  They run about $69.00 each.

None of the above will be supplied by the school system.  

Every year I usually spend $500 on each classroom.  It's the best way I know to help out.  I know how much they spend out of pocket each year so I just want to help a little.  Ron and I both volunteered every Thursday last year to help stuff take home folders and anything else they needed but this year we won't be able to do that.  So I guess $ is about the only thing I can contribute at this point.  

Again I ask the question...Why would anyone want to become a teacher today?
 
 

2 comments:

Olga said...

I see that Florida's governor is not reconsidering his push to open schools in August. His original announcement was about how kids don't even get the virus let alone die from it. Never mind that kids are not the only humans involved in the average school. And certainly never mind that the state is now daily breaking records for the number of newl cases.
You are so good to help your daughters' classrooms. I would hope after the shut down people would be a bit more appreciative of what teachers actually do.

oklhdan said...

Oh Olga I would hope so too but I've seen just how short people's memories are so I'm not holding out too much hope! Teaching just seems to be one of the most under appreciated professions in America!