Sunday, August 14, 2022

Reading, Writing and Arithmetic.........only if vetted!

Oklahoma has officially gone nuts!  They are passing one insane bill after another.  This is the year of the bounty hunters...and it is hunting season all year for teachers.  My daughters had to sign a statement that they will not have any books in the classroom that have not be "vetted" by two professionals declaring it appropriate.  Who these professionals are no one knows!  Last year one of my daughters had a parent flip out because her child checked out the book, "Tommy, the hyperactive turtle", from the library. They have teachers terrified to have classroom libraries at all.  They were warned that any violation would result in the loss of their teaching license. They were told to review all their books for outdated content....such as the depiction of pilgrims and Indians in books about Thanksgiving. My daughter who teaches Pre-k said Thanksgiving will be about eating turkey and being grateful.  I warned her someone from PETA may have an objection.

 I told my daughters we all need to learn how to groom dogs.  Any profession other than teaching would be better.  Although I guess some dog owners can be as demanding as parents.

No comments: