Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Back To School

 Yesterday I helped my daughters get their classrooms ready for back to school.  Every year I'm shocked at how much they do with their own money and on their own time.  Currently they are off contract, but school parking lots are full of cars as teachers (donate) their time to prepare for back to school.  Once school starts, they will be required to attend some unnecessary meetings and will not be provided time to work on their rooms.  Hmmmmm it's almost as if they "expect" them to do it on their own time.  I haven't even mentioned the amount of their own money they spend just for the privilege to teach.  I spent at least $1000. this summer trying to help them with needed supplies.  Honestly, it's disgusting.  Plus, they act as, furniture movers and wear too many other hats to mention.  I really wish the girls could leave teaching, but they are too invested toward their retirement.  The climate in Oklahoma is really bad toward education.  Our legislature is doing everything they can to run teachers off and finally get the school voucher bill passed to overt federal money to private schools.  This may be the year they succeed.  

2 comments:

Olga said...

Here in Vermont, the local schools are in a crisis of teacher shortage. It's concerning. I have seen a couple of people who thought it was such an easy job that anyone could do it get up in front of a classroom. I have also seen those people run for the hills in short order! It does take a certain dedication to carry on.

Earlier I was looking at back to school ad -- gallon jugs of Elmer's glue, a case of pencil's, etc. Obviously ads aimed at teachers.

oklhdan said...

I read that Florida is allowing a woman to teach 3rd grade with only a HS education. She did 12 hours of observation. Yep, that should do it! I guess if I watch an operation on tv I can be a doctor.