Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Becoming Bionic one joint at a time!

Well, the knees finally gave out!  It's time to see the orthopedist and get knee replacements.  I've really been scared of surgery due to my lung problems but it's either that or be confined to sitting!  It hurts so much to walk that I am avoiding it.  I know they won't do them at the same time but part of me wishes they would.  That way I'd only be under anesthesia once instead of twice.  But I think I'm too old to even be considered for that.  A girl at our church had both knees done at once but she was only in her 30's and she had to talk them into it.  She did just fine and was really glad they did both of them at once.  I'm seeing my GP this afternoon and will her for the referral. 

Ron is seeing an orthopedist this morning for his shoulder.  It's been hurting him for awhile and he has limited range of motion.  I'm sure he will have to have an MRI before he will know what is going on.  Looks like we have a lot of doctor visits in our future.  I have a CT scan the end of this month as a follow-up on the cancer scare a year ago.  I'm actually overdue for the scan so it needs to be done.

We had a lot of storm damage from the artic blast.  We lost a lot of shrubs and had our last big tree cut down yesterday.  Everything looks so barren and I don't know if I have the energy to start all over landscaping a yard.  Not to  mention the expense. 

I'm happy to report my brother is still doing well.  He doesn't call us constantly and he's enjoying being able to read again and has been devouring books.  He was a history major in college and has been reading historical books.  He has also resumed journaling.  It is absolutely amazing to see his brain "wake up" from the fog he has been in for the past 10 years.  I'm sorry it took so long to have a doctor recognize what was going on.  I've asked every doctor that has seen him over the years if his cognitive issues were medication related or was he suffering from some form of dementia.  No one would even discuss the issue.  I realize that it is a fine balance to control the symptoms with the least amount of psychotropic drugs required.  They have such unbelievable side effects.  Mike isn't resentful at all he just says, "Well, I'm better now and that's all that matters." 

If Ron and I are both looking at surgery it's a good thing Mike is doing so much better.  I'll have to get meals prepared ahead and find someone to help out for awhile but it is a lot more doable today than it was a year ago.  Mike can do so much more for himself now than before.





 

1 comment:

Olga said...

Sorry about your knees. I hope you can get them tended to in a timely fashion though. It is good to hear that your brother is doing so much better -- must be such a relief for all.