Tuesday, February 23, 2021

From Siberia to the Bahamas

 You just gotta love Oklahoma.  We were in Siberia last week and the Bahamas this week.  Today was in the 70's after being -12 a few days ago.  Ron and I took advantage of the sunshine and picked up my daughter's little dog and brought her over for a play date.  While the two pooches ran around in the backyard we cleaned out one of the flower beds and just soaked up the sunshine.  I told Ron I'm a little concerned about the upcoming tornado season.  Since we have been in a state of extremes for so long no telling what that will be like.  Last year we were considering building a tornado shelter but could never decide what kind or where to put it.  Normally we just get in an interior hallway and put bike helmets on our heads.  That is about as much of a shelter as I can get Ron in anyway.  I could just see him getting blown away standing outside the shelter door.

I got a long overdue haircut today and feel so much better.  It's funny how that one little thing can improve your disposition.  I literally couldn't do anything with my hair.  I prefer to keep it short because basically I'm too lazy to spend too much time fussing with it.  Besides no matter how much time I spend trying to fix it my hair has a will of its own.  I've either had really long hair which I put in a ponytail (when I was younger) or really short hair.  I guess I have my extremes as well.

I've been thinking about the yard projects I'd like to get done this year.  We have to have another tree removed because of storm damage.  We are also considering having a new patio installed, larger with a cover.  We want to have a ceiling fan as well.  If you don't have shade in the summer you just can't bear the heat.  It's brutal.  In my wildest of fancy's I'd like a screened in patio so I can get away from the mosquitoes....I'm a human bug zapper!

I guess we'd better keep entering those publisher clearing house sweepstakes if I'm ever going to get my wish list completed.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Good luck with the sweepstakes. I never thought about a bike helmet for tornado protection. I did get a phone warning last winter informing me that there was a tornado warning in the vicinity of Ashwood Drive. I thought that was strangely specific so I took my pillow and sat in the tub for a while.

Olga said...

That's quite the drastic change in temperature. People, animals and plants must all be so confused.

Deb said...

Oh Dani,

Your weather and ours, in Alberta Canada, is much the same - We were -47 F one week and + 60 the next. There's no telling what it will be one day to the next. It was 45 yesterday and it's 20 today and snowing. As a transplanted Okie who's been here 50 years you'd think I'd be used to it, and I am in a way but I'd still like to see a redbud tree come spring. Spring here comes in mid-JUNE. And no redbuds.

I'm just catching up and I'm delighted to read about the improvement in Mike's health. I know this has to be a huge relief for you and Ron, and for Mike too. You're such patient and wonderful caregivers. Mike is so lucky to have you. It's great that your burden of care is eased to some extent.

Sending hugs from Canada,
Deb