Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Well, after a sleepless night of worrying about whether I was doing the right thing or not...my mother's surgery was scheduled for this morning at 7:40 am. They finally took her down to surgery about 8:30. By 10 till 9:00 it was canceled. She finally expressed her wishes (while on the operating table) that she does not want a feeding tube. The surgeon came to get me and we talked and I have to say I was relieved. I was relieved of the responsibility to make the decision and relieved the ordeal was finally over. My mother will be transferred to a long care facility and kept as comfortable as possible until her death. I have tried for so long to get her to tell me what she wanted and she never would. I'm not sure if she really understands that without the feeding tube she may not live long but maybe at 91 years of age that has already been decided anyway. I just want her to be comfortable as possible. Now I'm at work and I have a late night meeting. I don't think I slept more than 2 hours last night. My suggestion to everyone is to get all your ducks in a row.....create a living will, make sure your loved ones know what you want concerning end of life issues. It is the greatest gift you can give them.

1 comment:

kenju said...

Excellent advice. I am glad to know that your mom relieved you of the need to make that decision.