Monday, January 11, 2010

Recurring Dream

I have had a recurring dream (or theme) for as long as I can remember.  It is always that I am lost and trying to find my way somewhere.  There are always mitigating circumstances that make the challenge even harder.  I absolutely hate it when I have these dreams because I wake up anxious and exhausted.  Last night my dream was a little sketchy but the theme familiar.  I had driven somewhere to attend a seminar but when I came out I couldn't find my car.  (sounds like my awake time too)  There was snow everywhere so it made finding my white car like finding a needle in a haystack.  The next thing I know I am clear across town (in a city I didn't recognize) on foot trying to get back to the place where I left my car only now I have lost my purse and car keys.  I am trying to get a ride (from old highschool friends who are obviously highschool age)  I don't know if I was suddenly that age or not but I couldn't get a ride so I had to walk only I was lost and didn't know which way to go.  I was wearing flats with no socks and it was very, very, cold.  Then I woke up.  I have this kind of dream all the time.  Sometimes I'm lost in a forest and trying to find my way out.  Sometimes I'm lost but being chased by something or someone.  Sometimes I'm trying to find my way to a classroom where I'm supposed to be taking a test but I'm late.  Anyone else have a recurring dream or theme?

Oh, and speaking of nightmares....:)  Have you seen that site dedicated to the people you see at Walmart? http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/   Well, let me tell you.....they were all at my local Walmart yesterday!  What a circus!  I wish I had taken my own camera.  Almost all of them were wearing leggings and with very short shirts.  Now, this is a look not carried off well by very many people.  In my personal opinion, leggings belong on little girls or 13 year olds.  OK...there are some younger women who can get away with this look also.  BUT women over 40....not so much!  You can camoflauge cellulite in black but it doesn't make it go away and when you pair it with high heels...oooooohhhhheeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh now there is something dreams are made of!

Another peculiar thing about my dreams.  In all my dreams that involve my children they are exactly 7 years old.  They never age they are always, always 7 years old!   I need to go back and read my diaries from that year and see what traumatic thing happened that stopped their age progression in my subconscious!  Gad, I'm strange!

I've been thinking alot about mattresses lately.  I have no idea why since I absolutely love my bed and have no intention of purchasing another one but there are so many to choose from.  You can have a sleep # bed which will give you one more identifying marker.  Maybe I could finally be able to say I'm  a 10!  I once looked at one of those thermopedic beds, you know the mattress you lay down on and when you get up there is a complete body print left behind.  It reminded too much of a chalk outline in a crime scene.  Besides, my body impression is not the last thing I want to see as I start my day.

and just for fun.........
When you're from the country ~ you look at things a little differently...
 
A Montana rancher got in his pickup and drove to a neighboring ranch and knocked at the door. A young boy, about 9, opened the door. "Is your Dad home?" the rancher asked. "No sir, he isn't," the boy replied. "He went into town."
"Well," said the rancher, "Is your Mother here?"
"No sir, she's not here either. She went into town with Dad."
"How about your brother, Howard? Is he here?"
"No sir, He went with Mom and Dad."
The rancher stood there for a few minutes, shifting from one foot to the other and mumbling to himself.
"Is there anything I can do for you?" the boy asked politely. "I know where all the tools are, if you want to borrow one. Or maybe I could take a message for Dad."
"Well," said the rancher uncomfortably, "I really wanted to talk to your Dad. It's about your brother Howard getting my daughter, Suzie, pregnant."'
The boy considered for a moment. "You would have to talk to Pa about that," he finally conceded. "If it helps you any, I know that Pa charges $500 for the bull and $50 for the hog, but I really don't know how much he gets for Howard."


 

4 comments:

kenju said...

I had a recurring dream from childhood until about 25, but not since then.

A car is a metaphor for your life. If your car is lost (or you can't find it) you need to examine what aspects of your life need to be beefed up, so to speak.

I think I'd like the thermopedic mattress. Maybe we'd have better dreams on one of them!

Linda said...

I am not a dreamer, and on the rare occasion I dream I remember very little of it once I'm awake. I think I should be glad about that.

Loved the WalMart part of your post. Made me smile just thinking about the sights you can see in those stores, A great place for people watching.

Arkansas Patti said...

I have a version of that same dream periodically. I think it comes when I am feeling not too terribly in control of my life.
They have occurred enough that I now recognize them as "dreams" while they are happening. I tell my self that this is only a dream and I quit searching for what is missing (usually a car).
Good luck.

Olga said...

A theme I dream involves packing--sometimes a suitcase, sometimes moving boxes--but always too much stuff and not enough time to get the job done. Telling me I'm stressed, maybe? I wouldn't give up my dream life though!