Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Belly Up To The Bar Boys

The following article was from the caregivers home companion.

http://www.caregivershome.com/news/article.cfm?UID=2065

Moderate Alcohol Intake Can Strengthen Bones as We Age

There seems to be a direct correlation between moderate drinking and bone density in older men and women. That’s the consensus of researchers conducting an epidemiological study of men and post-menopausal women primarily over 60 years of age who were found to have greater bone mineral density if they practiced regular moderate alcohol intake.

Researchers at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (USDA HNRCA) at Tufts University in Boston found associations were strongest for beer and wine and, importantly, bone mineral density (BMD) was significantly lower in men drinking more than two servings of liquor per day. The results suggest that regular moderate consumption of beer or wine may have protective effects on bone, but that heavy drinking may contribute to bone loss.


Yahoo................ Though I've never really liked alcohol I'm beginning to think I need to learn to like the taste of wine, for several reasons. (1) I'm going crazy (2) I like my bones (3) I'm going crazy and (4) Maybe I'll be a spiffy dancer too.

Anyway it couldn't hurt!

1 comment:

kenju said...

I have always believed that some alcohol (in moderation) never hurt anyone and is beneficial in ways we don't always understand. A glass of red wine does wonders!!