Friday, November 15, 2013

Guess who's coming for dinner!

Thanksgiving......it's right around the corner.  I got a call from my daughters yesterday letting me know that their 1/2 brother and his wife will be here for Thanksgiving.  My daughters finally found their brother after a 15 year search.  They've seen each other twice in the last two years and wanted very much to spend a holiday together.  I met them 2 years ago and they are a very sweet couple.  They are in their late twenties and both very nice.

Now, the thing is I'm a little worried about "Uncle Mike".  I told my daughters that Ron and I can take him out for Thanksgiving and they can have this time with their brother but they won't hear of it.  I just don't know what Mike will say to him if he makes the connection that he is my ex-husband's son.  Mike has some pretty strong feelings about how Jim (my ex) abandoned his daughters and he might say just about anything.  He also liked Jim when we were married and he took it personally when Jim left.

For me it still feels surreal.  I can't believe I will be having Thanksgiving dinner with the son of the man I was married to 44 years ago.  We didn't know if he was alive or dead for over 25 years.  My daughters only saw him 2 times after the age of five.  It's just a weird feeling.  I also feel self conscious for some reason.  I don't know what Jim told his son.  I know I shouldn't care but it makes me feel defensive in a way.  I'll sort it all out and move on.  It was a long time ago and I'm happy now and that's what matters most.  That and the fact that my daughters are happy to know their younger brother.

3 comments:

Olga said...

I can understand your trepidation, but it does seem important to your daughters so I say, just relax and enjoy the day and let mike be Mike.

kenju said...

Olga said it well. If your daughters can forewarn their half-brother that Mike may say something to make them all uncomfortable - he would know what he might be able to expect and be able to handle it better.

tatiana roosevelt said...

you are so funny and sweet. I am sure that the brother will go back and ask his dad how he could leave such a great family???