Thursday, October 15, 2009

Breaking up is hard to do........

I tried to break up with my blog but it just kept enticing me back. Of course I don't really consider it a blog as I don't write about anything of interest to anyone other than myself. It is more or less a reflective journal. It gives me an anchor. For 55 years I have kept a journal and it has always allowed me to go back and see where I've been, how far I have come and hopefully learn from my mistakes. I kept my journal in my bedside table and every night I'd write about my day or my feelings at the time. I never thought I'd ever switch to a computer version but low and behold I just can't seem to go back. It takes too long to jot my thoughts in long hand. So I'm back to the new and improved version.

I've had great news lately. My friend Perry and his wife Emma in the UK are having their first baby. Perry sent me an email yesterday to announce the news and I loved the tone of excitement in his voice. I know he will be a great dad!

My friends Megan and Brad are on their way to parenthood as well. Fortunately they are only across town and not across the ocean. So all this talk of babies has definitely lightened my mood and lifted my spirits. It's hard to believe that something so small as a baby can make the world seem brighter.

Speaking of motherhood and growing old......(ok, so we weren't speaking about growing old) Did you ever have one of those moments when you know there was something you were supposed to do but for the life of you it has escaped your memory. I had started believing this was just a by-product of aging when I suddenly remembered an incident from my past. I was only 23 years old at the time with 18-month old twins. My brain was still young and pliable and my memory should have been at its peak yet failed me miserably.

It was a busy morning and our neighbor’s little girl was going to be performing in a dance recital later that afternoon. I remember rushing around to get the girls fed and myself ready for our outing. After I got dressed I put the girls in the tub and bathed them. Next thing I knew I had less than 20 minutes to get them dressed, hair combed and in the car. I flew around at record speed and then shuffled them to the car. We made it to the recital on time and took our seats. Being little the girls were a bit fidgety. They started climbing around in their seats and then stood up and flung themselves over the back of the seats in front of us. Just as they did their little dresses flew up in the back revealing two very bare bottoms…….seems I forgot their panties in my haste to get them ready.

Now I’m sixty years old and though I may not remember why I walked in the kitchen…..I always remember my panties! OK…most of the time!

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad you have been lured back. Blogging is hard to resist. It is one time when we totally have the floor.
Loved your story about the bare bottomed kids.