Friday, April 13, 2012

Picture is worth a thousand words

My daughter just sent me a picture of her dad.  Since my girls found their 1/2 brother last week they have been in constant contact with him.  They asked for a picture of their dad and he obliged.  It has been more than 25 years since we last saw him.  When I first looked at the picture I had know idea who it was.  Time has erased the boy I once loved.  I couldn't find him anywhere in the face of this weathered looking man.  Nothing about him was familiar.  Though it may sound strange it was a relief in a way.  Ever since he came back in our lives by way of his son I have wrestled with old memories and old hurts.  It hasn't been pleasant.  I honestly think I can put them to rest now that I know the person I remember doesn't exist anymore. 

2 comments:

Olga said...

This must be such a surreal experience. I wonder if your daughters are now curious to meet the father. My son has never even met his biological father and I angst over that a lot.

Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, that had to be a trip. I once spoke to my ex as if he were a stranger. It was only later that I realized who he was. I wonder if he had the same problem or if he even knew it was me.