Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Birds and the Bees

Today's post on Elderstorytelling Blog  In Search of the Clitoris, was such a hoot.  It got me to thinking of how I learned about the birds and the bees.  I was in the 4th grade and my best friend Karma decided it was time I learn the facts of life.  Karma was the self-appointed expert on all things anatomical because her mother was a pre-med student and Karma had access to all her medical books.  Karma was just going to blurt out what I was convinced would be very embarrassing information to have to hear so I convinced her to just draw a picture.  Karma being rather creative decided it would be much better understood if she created some kind of three dimensional illustration.  So out came the playdough!
After she was satisfied with her models she set up her display.  First she explained each set of anatomy and then she put everything into motion (so-to-speak).  Now, I didn't faint or anything but I sure wanted to.  I do remember calling her something of a liar and that I was absolutely positive no such activity had transpired between MY mother and father and I quickly exited her home.

It was weeks before I finally mustered the courage to ask my mother about what I was convinced was the misinformation  I had been fed by my friend.  To my horror.................horror mind you.........my mother backed up Karma's version of the birds and the bees and proceeded to tell more than I really wanted to know!


So..........how did you learn about the facts of life?  Trial and error or did you have a friend like Karma?
 

2 comments:

kenju said...

A little of both! I also read that post this morning and it was so amusing. My mom told me about the birds and bees when I was 10, and by the time I was 11 and started my period, I had forgotten and thought I was bleeding to death.

oklhdan said...

Judy,
I was so young when I started they didn't have time to warn (I mean inform) me first. Scared me to death also.