Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Swimming upstream

Well, I left my house at 6:45 am and drove an hour to the clinic.  Didn't get to see the doctor because she was home with  a sick child.  I had to reschedule appointment and that will be March 27th.  Oh well....even doctors have families.  They tried to call but I had already left the house.  Now I could call my PMP and schedule an appointment but that would take at least 2 weeks plus a $50.00 co-pay and probably a bunch of out-of-pocket expenses if she runs any tests.  Or...wait until March 27th and get it all for nothing thanks to the Indian Nation Health Services.   Hmmmmmmmmm I'll wait!

A friend of mine sent me another email about the healthcare system in the UK and how people are not getting care because they have to wait too long.  He said he'd rather go broke in America from healthcare costs than die in the UK from no care.  I said, "Don't worry, you will get to do both."  

As more and more providers require payment "before" treatment will be given there will be fewer people able to afford treatment even if they have health insurance.  For example, we have to pay for Ron's CT scans up front and then wait for reimbursement from the insurance company.  We are fortunate we have the money to do that.  What if we didn't?   It's $1,300 every 3 months and sometimes we don't receive reimbursement before the next test is due.  If I didn't get my healthcare for free we would really be up a creek without a paddle.

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

I also think of all the unemployed or those whose workplace doesn't provide health care. Medicare is my crutch, hope that isn't pulled away.
Hope your doc finds and cures you quickly.