Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ron is having a great deal of difficulty facing the prospect of aging. It seems his 60th birthday really put him in a funk. Everywhere he goes he thinks every senior citizen he sees is his own reflection. Not that I like to rub it in or anything I still enjoy the fact that I am now and forever will be younger than he is though my 60th birthday is only 2 months away. It doesn't really bother me as I have always secretly looked forward to being a senior. There are a lot of advantages if you retain a sense of humor and look for them.

According to Maggie Khun there are three good things about aging:
1. Everyone who has told you, "You'd better not do that," "That's not going to work" and, "Are you going to wear that?" is dead.
2. Since no one takes old people seriously, you can be the person you were always meant to be. Women can be more assertive, men can be more nurturing, and both can strive to be public nuisances.
3. Because there have been real losses along the way, this is the opportunity to make new friends, explore new interests and try on new roles.

I love the way older people sometimes like to make their children feel guilty. Like the son who called his mother:
"Hi Ma. How are you?"
"Not so good. I haven't eaten for 27 days, so I'm very weak."
"Good heavens, that's terrible. Why not?"
"I didn't want to have my mouth full of food if you should happen to call me."

More Signs That Old Age Might Be Creeping Up On You ...

· You like to be in crowds because they keep you from falling down.
· Your favorite section of the newspaper is '25 Years Ago Today.'
· A big evening with your friends is sitting around comparing living wills.
· Your clothes go into the overnight bag so you can fill the suitcase with your
pills.
· Somebody you consider an old-timer calls you an old-timer.
· Your idea of a change of scenery is looking to the left or right.
· Your knees buckle, but your belt won't

A little more humor:

Two elderly women were eating at a restaurant one morning. Ethel noticed something funny about Mabel's ear and she said, "Mabel, did you know you've got a suppository in your left ear?"
Mabel answered, "I have? A suppository?" She pulled it out and stared at it. Then she said, "Ethel, I'm glad you saw this thing. Now I think I know where my hearing aid is."

And just like the circle of life..... "Am I smiling, or is it gas?"

1 comment:

kenju said...

Oh, I hope I don't ever misplace my hearing aids!!