Thursday, April 30, 2009

I've had all kinds of thoughts in my head but no time to write. I feel like I'm the caretaker of my family. My brother has schizophrenia, my niece and nephew both suffer from bi-polar disorder and my oldest brother claims his wife has multiple personality disorder. I feel like I'm the odd man out. My father once warned me not to be the last one standing. I wasn't sure what he meant by that but I'm starting to get an idea. I feel bad that my niece really has no one to depend on at all. She went through a divorce about 2 years ago and her dad, my brother, though I love him to death, has made some pretty bad choices in his life leaving his daughter to feel as though he has chosen women over her. I don't know but it seems the world can be pretty messed up by itself. Why create more problems for yourself. My brother is always talking about unconditional love. Well, the definition of unconditional love is (love without conditions). I don't know anyone that doesn't love with conditions. Even God has some expectations of us. The closest thing I can come to unconditional love is the love I have for my children. I "think" I love them unconditionally but in all fairness, they have never tested my theory. Maybe we can love someone but not always like what they do. I guess you can love someone but not be able to be with them for whatever reason but if you don't stay does that nullify the unconditional love idea? Just pondering the question.

1 comment:

kenju said...

I've often pondered the same thing. I always say I love my kids unconditionally, but I wonder if any of them did something really horrific, what would I do?