Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Birthday Girls

My daughters are 46 years old today.  Unbelievable!  To me they are still my little girls.  I remember the day they were born like it was yesterday.  I went into labor on the 4th of December.  I was alone since my husband was in the service at the time so my mom came over to stay with me until it was time to go to the hospital.  Finally at about 8pm that night we decided to go but the girls were not born until Sunday afternoon at 4:40 and 4:42 pm.  What a day that was!  My dad had always teased me that he couldn't love me more if there were two just like me and then suddenly there were!  I remember that was the first thing I said to him when they wheeled me back to my room. "Hey Daddy, there are two just like me!

I was a young mom at 21 and a little overwhelmed with two babies but I always felt like I had won the lottery.  They were the cutest things even if I couldn't tell them apart.  There was only 6 oz. difference in their weight and they were both exactly 16 1/2 inches long.  I finally had to paint their toenails just so I wouldn't get them mixed up.

They didn't meet their daddy until they were almost 5 months old and unfortunately he only remained in their lives until the age of 5.  That's when we divorced and I'll never understand how he could have just walked away from the girls.  I always wonder if he remembers them on their birthday or if he has erased them completely from his mind.

No matter.......it was his loss for they are beautiful and wonderful young women.

We are off to have a birthday dinner with the girls and their Uncle Mike is more excited for an excuse to party that anybody!
 

1 comment:

Olga said...

Our children are always our children. Happy belated birthday wishes to yours.