Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Closer to the finish line

OK...the tile is up on the walls in the kitchen and bathroom. It hasn't been grouted yet but I think it is going to look pretty good. I didn't end up with the look I thought I was going for and I've learned some valuable lessons during this renovation. The biggest lesson I've learned is next time hire a decorator to pick EVERYTHING out. I absolutely do not have the skills required for this kind of job. Fortunately, I think I played it pretty safe and I didn't ruin anything. The bathroom has been greatly improved. I started out with pink and green tile on the bathtub surround (1960's) and believe it or not orange/gold counter top on the sink. It is now bisque bathtub surround and brownish/tan counter top with neutral rock tiles on the back splash. Everything is very neutral. Makes it easier to add color on the walls. Which I intend to paint a dark sage green. I also replaced all the cabinet doors. Big improvement..... Now the kitchen is another story. I had to change the back splash to white subway tiles. Everything was just too busy with the counter top. Now the white cabinets look really awful so they will have to be repainted. I plan to replace the cabinet doors in there later down the road. It will all look better once the room is painted. Today should be the last day for the contractor. He's finishing up and will I'm sure present me with the bill. I have to brace myself for this.....I know what the initial bid price was but there were some added changes and a few materials purchased that will cost extra. Oh well, nothing comes without a price.

No comments: