Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Retirement

I went to the doctor yesterday and got the results of my bone density test.  It appears I have osteoporosis so I guess I have one more medication to add to my ever growing list.  I'm surprised my orthopedic surgeon didn't discover this during my hip replacement but oh well.

The appointment went well and I'm controlling my diabetes so it was a good appointment.  I told him I am retiring this summer and the first thing he asked was, "Then, what are you going to do?He said people who retire get bored very quickly.  I felt like I needed to come up with something impressive like, well, I plan to finish writing my novel or I'll be working on the cure for Ebola.  Am I supposed to have the remainder of my years mapped out?  Every day I think about things I want to do after I retire.  I am looking forward to volunteering at the school where my daughters teach.  I want to volunteer in each of their classrooms one day a week.  I want to go to water aerobics (which classes only seem to occur during the work day).  

I'm also looking forward to just having time to get my brother to his psych. appointments and other doctor appointments.  It has been so hard to juggle his healthcare and work at the same time along with my own and Ron's.  Time is a valuable commodity.  

Ron and I also want to grow a vegetable garden.  I know a lot of people who seem to accomplish this and work but we are garden novices and I think we are going to have to work at it.  In other words we have no idea what we are doing.

Travel will be sparse since we can't get far from home and manage my brother's care but we hope to do a little traveling.  

So, even though I don't plan to get another job I don't plan to be bored either.  No matter what my doctor thinks.

No comments: