Thursday, October 30, 2014

What's your cure?

I was reading yesterday about ways to cure the hiccups.  I had no idea there were so many methods out there to cure them.  

Here are a few of the ones I found:

Try the open-mouthed swallowing method. Open your mouth and keep it open for a couple of minutes. If you feel the need to swallow, do so, but try to keep your lips apart when you do.
  • Keep gulping every few seconds, especially when you feel a hiccup might be coming. A couple of hiccups might escape, but with continuous gulping, hiccups should be gone within 3 minutes.
  • Make sure you are not wearing anything tight around your chest. If you are, loosen it.
Imagine breathing in a figure eight. As the out-breath reaches the end, slow the breath and twist it around so that it becomes the in-breath. Then simply create a figure eight of continuous breath.
  • The hiccups will subside almost immediately. It usually works within 10 cycles.
  • Another way to visualize this is to inhale as much as you can hold, then exhale all but a small amount of air. Continue doing this for 15-20 seconds, or until the hiccups have gone. 
 Employ the rotation method. First, pinch your nose together. Then, spin around in a clockwise direction, while singing "Row, row, row, your boat."

Put your earlobes to good use. About time, right?! What are they there for anyway? Drink a normal-sized gulp of water, but don't swallow! Leave the water in your mouth. Then, pull down both your earlobes and tilt your head back. Swallow and tada! Hiccups, vamoose! 

Trust me this only touches the surface of the number of cures I found.  But...I don't use any of these sure fire cures.  I found what works for me in the 1st grade when I sat next to Alan Barker, the  the cutest, brown haired, boy in my class.  

Now, you ask what he has to do with curing hiccups?  Well, I'll tell you.... Whenever I would get the hiccups my mother would say, "Guess who I saw today?  Alan Barker."  

She usually didn't have to go any further than saying his name for my hiccups to vanish but sometimes she'd elaborate by saying he asked about me or his mother told my mother I was cute.  It really didn't matter because usually just the mention of his name would do it.  For some weird reason this continued to work even into adulthood. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kenju said...

Oddly enough, I have hiccups at this moment. I tried the open mouth swallow - and we shall see.