Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Tired....just plain tired....

I've been having a lot of nightmares for the past two weeks.  Every night I wake up because my hip is hurting which allows me to remember (with too much detail) the bad dreams I'm having.  Last night there were three and they involved everything from flaming car crashes and my former neighbor burning to death in front of my eyes to a meeting with my uncle (who has been dead over 30 years) to discuss my brother.  The last one was a little fuzzy but I know I was late to work because I got a call from my daughter who needed help for some reason........I'm exhausted this morning!

I read something yesterday on Facebook written by a 40 year old about the smelly old people at the dentist's office.  I know it was meant in humor but after reading some confirming comments from others about old people smelling because their insides are rotting it made me think about my 90 something mother. 

Young people may think old people just don't bathe and sometimes that does become a problem.  My mother hated to get in the shower because it was exhausting for her and because of her arthritis sometimes very painful.  Medications she took made her breath bad and no amount of mouthwash was able to fix it.  She would have been so embarrassed if she had known.  It would have made me so sad if she had been the subject of ridicule.  Reading things like that makes me so sad.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, sugar. BIG HUGS. I remember when I was taking care of my Mom in hospice ... just about 30 years ago. I was working full-time ... more than full-time ... 45-50 hours per week. I was divorced, raising a child by myself. I was exhausted.

I dreamt about huge bugs ... 5- or 10- pound beetles crawling all over me. I woke up in the middle of the night remembering that your mind uses puns to try to solve problems. I was thinking, "bugs" ... "bugs" ... who's "bugging me??" ... my Mom!! I sat there at 2 o'clock in the morning laughing like a crazy woman!!

You've got to have patience ... and love for yourself. You do more than is humanly possible just about every day. A sick Husband. A disabled Brother. And, **PAIN**. Pain is the thing that takes me over the edge. I just do not do well with pain. Messes with my sleep. I've had fibromyalgia for over 20 years. When you don't get "quality" sleep, you hurt. I hurt almost constantly. I understand.

Try to treat yourself well. Tea in china cups. Go out with your husband to a movie or to dinner at least once a week (you have another Brother than can keep an eye on the disabled Brother ... don't you??). Maybe start a new habit of you and your husband going for a 20-minute walk just before or just after dinner every day. 20 minutes for your health and your sanity every day doesn't take a lot of time; but, is a huge investment.

There are a lot of us out here who understand the just sheer bone-tired exhaustion. You are not alone.

Take care of yourself.

BIG HUGS.

Barb

Betty said...

It seems like I dream all night long, although I'm told that I probably don't. Many nights the dreams are disturbing. Other times, they are like watching a movie in which I never even appear. I'm sure a dream analyst would have a field day with some of my dreams. lol

Carol said...

Bless your heart! I am totally with you. Have had hip pain for months but the cooler weather has made it miserable. My daughter said something yesterday about sleeping 8 hours straight. I can't remember when I have slept 8 hours straight (nature calls and I have to go to the bathroom every 3 hours or so). I take some medication that I can not do without but it makes me sweat and have dry mouth. I worry that have bad breath AND smell. Getting older is not for sissies my mom always said. Now I know. Hope you feel better tomorrow. Hugs--