Thursday, October 17, 2013

Life Lessons



When Mike and I were in grade school there was a grocery store just around the corner from our house.  Normally we both loved it when our parents asked us to go to the store for some last minute item.  But one day for some reason I protested when my father asked me to go.  Mike jumped up and volunteered and with money in hand out the door he went.

A short time later Mike came through the door handing his parcel to our dad just as I said, Ha Ha you had to go to the grocery store.  I know more got the words out of my mouth when Mike looked at me holding something in his hand and replied, “Yeah, but look who got the Tootsie Roll.”   

Our father was a sales manager at the time and used this story at many of his sales meetings.  The lesson of course is that the one who goes the extra mile……………..gets the Tootsie Roll.  

Glad I learned that lesson early.

What life lessons did you learn at an early age?

2 comments:

Debbie Gruber said...

Mmm . . . I haven't had a tootsie roll in such a long time. I miss that chocolatey goodness. Hmm, I think I'm going to run to the store right now . . .

Olga said...

My father sent me to the corner store with money for a pack of cigarettes and a candy bar for me. Even in those days, children could not buy cigarettes so I went home munching on my chocolate bar. My father thought that If he had to suffer, I should have chosen to do the same I guess. No real lesson learned but I had not thought of that incident for a long time.