Thursday, September 1, 2011

Gotta Stay Healthy

I know it doesn't sound possible but this is the first time that it has ever hit me that I can't afford to be sick.  I haven't felt good since last Friday and after a week it finally hit me that I CAN'T get sick.  I am the caregiver and caregivers just don't have time to get sick.  What really got me was thinking about what would happen to my brother if I were not here to look after him?  I can't believe I've never thought about that before.  I just assume I'll always be here to take care of him.  How naive is that?  I know it is silly to worry about things that haven't happened but it really did shake me up to think I can't afford to get sick.  Thank goodness there is nothing seriously wrong with me but it did give me cause to think about the situation.  I'm sure this is a concern for all caregivers.

3 comments:

kenju said...

Oh, yeah! My children tell me that I can't get sick or die before mr. kenju, since they would be called on to take care of him.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am only caregiver to my pets but I have those same worries.
I think just the fact of being leaned on by those depending upon us keeps us strong. Kind of emotional weight training.

Jean Campbell said...

It's hard to cover all possible events. A friend recently died. Her husband voiced, 'This is not the way we'd planned ....' The worst case scenario is that a person who has no guardian, no resources and is not able to care for themselves becomes a ward of the State.