Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ron wasn't feeling any better last night.  He was very quiet and just sat in the recliner wrapped in a blanket.  His body temperature seems to be all wacked out and he's cold most of the time.  I'm hoping it is just because my house is cooler than what he is accustomed to.  He rarely turned on his airconditioner and I prefer it cool.  I keep trying to adjust the thermostat but he won't let me.

I read yesterday that when renal cell spreads to the lungs and is metabolic that fatigue is one of the symptoms. When tumors are in a"hypermetabolic" state, tumor cells compete for nutrients, often at the expense of the normal cells' growth. In addition to fatigue, weight loss and decreased appetite are common effects.  Ron's appetitie is holding but his weight loss is continuing.


Within the last three days he has started having hip pain.  He blamed it on the chair he was sitting on while working on the computer.  I have no idea if that is the culprit or not.  He was up and down all night last night and very cranky this morning.  He said he was going to call the doctor this morning. 


What I'm observing as we continue on this journey is that Ron turns away from me when he feels bad.  That's hard for me since the mother in me wants to comfort him and yet that's not want he needs or wants.  I just hope he doesn't shut me out all together or if he does that I will be able to handle it.  I have felt disconnected ever since the surgery.  He's really distant.  Not in a mean way or anything just that he is somewhere else in his head.  I tend to ask too many questions, like, "Are you OK?" or "Do you need anything?" all of which seem to irritate him.


So, I still have some work to do to perfect my caregiving skills!

4 comments:

marciamayo said...

You and Ron are dealing with so many things right now. Give yourself a break and don't try to be perfect.

Arkansas Patti said...

It must be so hard for you. I understand a bit for I am a great caregiver but hate being fussed over. Ron may be like that. That in turn makes it so hard for you. I'd say let him ask for what he wants and let him adjust the temps.

kenju said...

Mr. kenju is similar to that, and when he is ill, he jumps down my throat if I mention anything about it. I hope Ron will be okay, and that he will realize that you have his best interest at heart.

Unknown said...

Questions R caregiving. Know matter how good or less good any of us may feel we are at any moment, we are limited to observations unless we ask.

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick