Thursday, December 4, 2008


Every Christmas I send out letters from Santa and magic keys to the grandchildren and children of friends and co-workers. I've been doing this for about eight years when my neighbor's grand daughter was coming for Christmas and was convinced Santa wouldn't find her. She was also concerned about the fact that her grandmother didn't have a chimney. I found a rusty key and tied a ribbon to it and then wrote a little poem to go with it and sent it to Madison. She brought that key with her and hung it outside her grandma's door and was happy as a lark. From then on it became my own little Christmas tradition and it has become even more fun since I have no grandchildren of my own. I just love hearing the stories about how the kids react when they receive their letters. This is the letter I enclose with their keys.

Dear Madison;

I’m sending to you this magic key to hang by your door on Christmas Eve. I’ll use it to let myself in the front door, so I can leave candy and presents galore.

It doesn’t matter where you are, be it here or near or somewhere far. This key will lead me all the way to where you’ll be on Christmas Day.

Now this key only works for good girls and boys who mind their parents and take care of their toys. Remember to always say thank you and please and I’ll leave something special under your tree.

On Christmas morning hanging high in the tree is where you will find your magic key. I’ll hang it there after my work is complete, when I’ve filled all the stockings with candies and treats.

So mind your manners, be helpful and kind and you’ll be surprised by all that you find underneath the tree, piled high on the floor, if you leave me this key to open the door.

Love
Santa

No comments: