Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Number please

Some days I'm amazed by the things I remember and stunned by the number of things I forget. I can remember my phone number from when I was 6 years old. It started out a simple 3834. That was the time when you'd pick up the heavy receiver to the bulky, black phone and be greeted by a pleasant voice saying, "Number please". Sometime later I guess our town grew and pre-fixes were required. Our number changed to Jefferson 4 3834. This was followed by rotary phones which required dialing JE4-3834 and later replaced with 321-3834. I even remember my grade school girlfriend's phone number 321-4142. Why? I have no idea. I can't remember why I walked into my kitchen but I remember a phone number from 53 years ago. I can remember every number assigned to me like my social security number and those of my two daughters, my zip code, area code and home phone number, cell phone number, bank account, pass words, debit card #, employee ID, all the phone numbers of my friends and family but I can't remember what I'm supposed to do an hour from now. I think my memory bins are so full of old information I have no more room for anything new. Don't know...just a theory.

No comments: