Thursday, May 8, 2008

The gifts that keep on giving!


It is almost time for all you mothers of young children to be besieged with tokens of your child’s affection. Some of you will be proudly handed those precious little cards covered in original artwork or perhaps you will receive a paper cup with a lonely seed sprouting from a ½ inch of potting soil. Whatever the gift you will cherish each and every one. My daughter once lovingly bestowed upon me a wrought iron butterfly necklace decked in jewels of sparkling rhinestones with gaps of missing stones here and there. It weighed almost more than she did and I secretly wondered if South Fork was missing a gate ornament. I hung the necklace around my neck and immediately felt 3 discs slip in my lower back. The Monday following Mother’s Day my little daughter watched me as I dressed for work. When I put my new mother’s day necklace around my neck her face lit up immediately followed by a look of grave concern. She asked me if I would be greatly disappointed if she told me it was costume jewelry. I of course replied it didn’t matter because it couldn’t be more beautiful if it were covered in diamonds and pearls. I drove all the way to work wearing my new necklace but carefully hung it on the rear view mirror before going into my office. Eight hours later I returned to my car to discover the weight of my new family heirloom had pulled the rear view mirror off the windshield. Some gifts are worth their weight in repairs gold!

No comments: