Thursday, December 7, 2017

In The Blink Of An Eye

I say it all the time, "Your life can change forever in a blink of an eye."  Our lives changed at 5:00 am Dec. 5th.  I woke up to this ear piercing sound.  At first I thought Ron was having a bad dream and I reached for his hand and his entire arm was stiff.  Then I could feel him convulsing.  I turned on the light and he was in a full blown grandmal seizure.  I don't know how but I stayed calm.  I turned him on his side to be sure he didn't choke and then I called 911.  I had to brace myself between Ron and the wall in order to keep him from falling off the bed.  The seizure lasted over a minute.  By the time the paramedics arrived it was over but Ron was still unconscious.  His eyes were still rolled back.

He was loaded on the ambulance and taken to the hospital.  By the time I was allowed to see him he was awake but had no idea what was going on.  He did recognize me so I knew he was coming around.  Around 8 am my daughter and son-in-law left to go get something to eat.  Jamie is diabetic and her blood sugar was dropping.  They had no more left when Ron had another seizure.  It was just as strong as the first one but only lasted 60 seconds.  This time he came around a little faster but was even more confused.  At one point they asked his name, he didn't know, asked him who is the President and again he didn't know.  The doctor said that was normal and left the room.  Ron then looked at me and asked, "Who is the President?"  I couldn't help myself, I said Hillary Clinton.  I asked him if he remembered changing his voter registration.  He said, "No".  I told him he's now a Democrat and he voted for Hillary.  He looked at me like he smelled a skunk.  

Just so you don't think I'm a horrible wife...I did tell him the truth.  He response though was, "I knew I didn't vote for a woman."   (He's got some splaining to do when he gets well).

But he is now in the hospital.  Lots of tests being run.  So far nothing to explain the seizures has been found.  Today he is running a 102.4 temp. so more tests and then hopefully he can come home tomorrow.  He will not be allowed to drive for 6 months.  This is not making him happy.  If he has another seizure during the 6 months the time starts all over.

The neurologist said we may never know the cause however he has a 50/50 chance of having another one.

So our lives have definitely changed.  But it is one day at a time.  I have to see if I can manage caring for two men now.  I'm gonna give it a try.

6 comments:

Florence said...

Oh my, I am so sorry! How terrifying for you! I hope Ron recovers completely. Please keep us posted. You and Ron are in my thoughts and prayers.

Olga said...

Oh, Dani. Yes, we can never take anything for granted. My thoughts are with you. I do think it is great that you were able to tell him Hillary was the president. If only. . .

Betty said...

I'm glad you were able to stay calm. I would have been a hot mess. Hope Ron recovers soon.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am so sorry and I do hope this was a one time event. I had one 25 years ago and have never had another. It seems I wasn't getting enough blood to the brain and a strict change of diet (less meat with more fiber and veggies) did the trick. I so hope Ron faces such a simple fix.

NAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb said...

Oh Dani,
I am so sorry to read about Ron's seizures! This must have been so frightening for you. I had to laugh that you told him that he voted for Hilary though. A girl has to have some fun, even in the middle of a ghastly situation.

I hope they uncover the cause of his problem and find an effective treatment so he can be home quickly. Don't lose heart. There are numerous meds, including medical marijuana in oil form (no high at all and none of the side effects of the old seizure meds). Please keep us posted.

You, Ron and Mike will be in my thoughts and prayers,
Hugs from Calgary,
Deb