Monday, October 2, 2017

My heart goes out to the people of Las Vegas

Well, the news from Los Vegas is horrible.  The death count keeps rising, it is now 58 I believe.  I told Ron that as horrible as it is I think I have been desensitized.  That's awful to say but I read where we have had a mass killing 242 out of 244 days.  I think I came to the conclusion after Sandyhook that nothing will make congress go against the NRA.  It is open season.  The minute something horrific happens the rhetoric begins.  "Guns don't kill people, people do."  I'm sick of hearing all the crap.  If all 20,000 at the concert had been armed it wouldn't have prevented a single injury or death.  The guy had an automatic weapon possibly a machine gun (which are legal in Nevada).  He was 32 stories up in a building.  He was able to mow people down and he wasn't taken down by any bullet other than his own.  If our politicians took just one action....increased access to mental health care, made it just a tiny bit harder for people to purchase guns like stricter background checks...just took one action that showed they were willing to address this epidemic in our country it might restore a semblance of hope.  But honestly don't expect then to do one darn thing.  It's disgusting!

On another note....my daughter completed all her tests.  Her endoscopy didn't show anything.  She did test positive for the bacteria that causes ulcers so she is taking an antibiotic for that.  It is good to know that nothing serious was discovered but frustrating to not know what is causing the pain.

I am feeling absolutely great!  The wheezing and coughing are completely gone.  The side effects of the inhaler have been greatly reduced and I'm just grateful and thankful!  I'm still avoiding going to school because I'm concerned about my immune system but overall I couldn't be happier.

Yesterday we attended a church service with my daughter and son-in-law and my son (by another mother) and his wife. It was one of the mega churches here in Norman and I've never experienced anything like it.  It was like going to a rock concert.  Unbelievable!  I was very overwhelmed by it all.  Lots of acoustic music.  I can see why it appeals to young people.  In the lobby they had a coffee bar and other eateries.  People were bringing their breakfast into the auditorium etc.  It was really interesting. 

I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy that is used to a very traditional service.  You know the kind where you know you've been to church.  But I'm not knocking the other church because churches need young members if they are to survive.  I know my church is just barely hanging on.....when you look at the members who come for church they are all white haired people like Ron and I.  The church is shrinking as members pass away and there are no younger members to take their place.  I've attended this church since I was two years old.  I've seen it go from full capacity of approximately 300 to maybe 100 people on a good day. 

My Christmas shopping is almost completed.  I'm a little later than I was last year but I've been spending my time painting rocks!  I've left them all over town and they are always gone when I return to where I left one.  It's just been kind of fun....but it's time I get back to work....gifts to purchase!

 

2 comments:

Florence said...

So glad you are feeling so much better and your weight loss is fantastic.

I’m with you on the gun situation. If nothing was done after Sandy Hook, nothing is going to be done until the Republicans change their minds or the Democrats take over Congress. Sigh.

Hope the antibiotics do the trick for your daughter.

Olga said...

I don't know what is going to take to change the gun culture. I hope someone knows and can make it happen.