Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Learning Curve

I decided to purchase myself a new sewing machine today.  I haven't sewn in a long time.  I loaned my previous machine to my daughter and it stopped working but I had just never replaced it because I didn't have time to sew anyway.  Now I have time!  I just finished cutting new curtains for the guest room and tomorrow I'm going to sew them up.  After that I have no idea what my next project will be but I'll think of something!

Poor Jamie has an outbreak of head lice in her classroom.  In the past they sent a child home when lice were detected and they were not to return until it was eradicated.  Not the case anymore.  They are not allowed to send a child home for it because they often never get the problem resolved and the child misses too much school.  Or they just continually get reinfected.  

So of course the minute you find out a child has it you get paranoid and your head starts to itch!  In her 16 years of teaching she has never caught it from a child but you never stop being paranoid!

For some reason I'm having trouble sleeping.  Last night I couldn't get to sleep but often I fall asleep only to wake up about 3:30 am unable to go back to sleep.  I had been taking melatonin but ran out of it.  Guess I'll have to get some more. It did seem to help.

We had to get a plumber today to fix the sink in the guest bath.  It seems the painters cleaned their tools in the sink and must have washed some of the wall texture down the sink.  It turned to stone and was completely clogged up clear back into the wall.  It was a $200 house call.  We contacted the painting company and they are going to reimburse us for the bill.  So all ends well.

Well wish me luck that the learning curve on the new sewing machine is low.  I've got a manual to read.  This is the first computerized machine I've ever had!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Maybe you will take up quilting!

kenju said...

I think I'll stick with my 1940 Singer, as long as it works. I don 't want to tackle a new digital machine. Of course, I have not sewn anything much in the last 20 years - only mending.

Anonymous said...

Hi.
I'm Carol Morley from Scotland. I'm new to reading your blog but have enjoyed reading this post.

I've just bought a new digital sewing machine which sitting in my wardrobe! I was going to wait until the room is cleared and refurbished but the price came down by 22% and I invested in the future.

I haven't sewn from scratch for 25 years but I can't wait to start again. I am itching to buy patterns and fabric but I need to move 10 years of accumulated stuff. And paint and put in new flooring.

Good luck with your first project!