Saturday, January 30, 2016

Tomato free spaghetti sauce recipe

This is for Judy who asked me to post the tomato free spaghetti sauce recipe.

saute 1 chopped onion with 3 cloves of minced garlic until transluscent

In a bowl put
2 cans of sliced carrots drained
1 can of beets (rinsed and drained)
(and mix  together in a blender or I use an immersion blender until it is smooth)

Pour the carrots & beets mixture into a sauce pan and then add the onions and garlic.  Also add 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning, 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and 1 bay leaf.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for up to 4 hours or at least 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.  (I usually only simmer 30 minutes)

You can also add cooked crumbled hamburger or cooked crumbled Italian sausage to the sauce if you like.

 

2 comments:

Olga said...

I often add carrots to my tomato sauce for sweetness. I think I will try adding beets. And this sounds lovely as is to me as well.

Judy said...

3rd times try to comment! Thanks for posting the recipe! Will give it a try! Judy