Thursday, September 25, 2014

Getting off the artifical sweetener band wagon....

I'm at work early this morning to attend a meeting but so far I'm the only one here!  I'm sure they will show up soon.

I'm a little miffed.  As soon as my hip fully recovered my knee started giving me fits.  I don't believe it has anything to do with arthritis but it seems to be the IT band.  The PT explained it was inflamed and rubbing against the knee cap because my thigh muscles are weak on one side and this is causing the other side of my leg to pull that IT band tight.  (I know I didn't explain that very well)  It didn't get bad until I came back to work and I think it is sitting at my desk for long periods that really aggravates it.  Unfortunately the exercises to stretch it are not allowed because of my hip precautions.

I saw a new doctor Tuesday.  He is an endocrinologist and his specialty is diabetes.  Now, I have my diabetes controlled but he is pushing for even better control.  I have to give up all diet drinks!  That is sooooooo hard for me since I am addicted to Diet Coke.  But I decided to just dive in and go cold turkey.  I didn't have a single one yesterday but I did have a horrible headache!  So I bought some coffee yesterday and had one cup this morning just to get a hit of caffeine.  So far I don't have a headache. 

Meeting over and it is now past lunch time and still no headache!  Guess the coffee worked. 

After reading all the health risks of artificial sweeteners  I don't have any excuse to drink diet sodas.  One is supposed to do better when they know better.   The new doctor explained that diet soda can actually increase your chances of developing diabetes by 40% and all the time I thought I was doing good by eliminating the sugar.  He also said it can cause weight gain.  Again I was dooped!

Anymore I don't know what is healthy or unhealthy. 


2 comments:

Olga said...

Staying well hydrated helps with the headaches. I was never allowed soda as a child and I never developed a taste for it. My mother was into healthy food and sensible shoes--two things that have actually served me well in my life, although I wasn't thanking her at the time.

oklhdan said...

Thanks for the tip Olga. I've been drinking about 2 liters of water every day and yesterday I had no headache. I still drank a cup of coffee this morning (just in case) but I heard you can buy Folgers 1/2 caf....so I think I'll switch to that and then eventually no caffeine at all. I can't imagine that it is good for me either.