Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Shop around the corner!

Living in a college town has some great perks.  There are always activities at the University to go to and of course the sports are something my husband couldn't do without.  It is lively with young people everywhere.

When I was growing up we lived about a block from the football stadium and only a short walk to the campus.  As kids our favorite place to go was the campus corner.  It was two streets of local shops that catered to students.  Back in the 50's the streets were brick and so were the sidewalks.  Unfortunately the brick streets were replaced with concrete but some of the charm still remains.
This is in front of my favorite spot.


There are still some remnants of the brick in the sidewalks.  Dee's was a store that had just about everything.  There was a sandwich shop in the back where students would grab a quick lunch

T
There was a fire on the corner and one whole building burned to the ground.  Instead of rebuilding they made a secluded outdoor eating area with a park like atmosphere.  It really does look good.
 There are several old homes along the main street of the corner that have been converted to businesses.  I like the way they maintained the charm of the original house.  And....of course my favorite color is red.

Recently I learned that the corner is being taken over by large out of state businesses and the locally owned shops are being run out because of increased rent.  It is a shame.  I'm afraid the Corner will never be the same.

2 comments:

Olga said...

What a lovely snapshot of your town and, yes, a terrible shame that the small, local businesses will be shoved out.

Carol said...

I don't remember where you live but I sure do like your photos of your town. It looks charming! I would like to stroll down that sidewalk window shopping. I hate to hear about local businesses going out of business though. :(