Thursday, January 10, 2013

Aging With The Grace of God

Our new Sunday school class began last Sunday and it is entitled, “Aging in the Grace of God”. Ron and I picked the class partly because we weren’t interested in any of the others being offered and also in part because we are embarking on our own journeys into aging.

When the class began and introductions had been completed it was apparent that we are two of the three young wipper snappers in the class. The average age of the class is 79 years young. The oldest age just shy of 91.

What a wealth of experience and knowledge to draw from in our attempt to deal with the problems associated with aging head. Only…………after listening to many of these seasoned seniors it became apparent that problems were not the focus of their outlook on life. Most of them were active, vibrant contributors in their community. They belong to the YMCA where they participate in physical activities suited to their varying abilities. Some were avid water walkers and others remained flexible through Yoga.

They keep their minds active as well as their bodies. One or two were still employed if only part-time. Most participate in volunteer programs and all of them exercise their minds by playing games, reading and participating in social groups that fulfill their personal interests.

It was apparent that although we can’t necessarily avoid some of the physical challenges associated with aging we can certainly remain mentally and physically as active as our bodies will allow.

When asked if they “feel old” not one replied in the affirmative. I found this amazing especially since I had recently fallen victim to whining about my own physical aches and pains and my newly acquired need for a cane. All of which had sent me spiraling downward into an early geezer self-identity and a pitiful cycle of depression.

But here were people anywhere from ten to twenty years my senior and not one of them mentioned their health issues or lack of mobility. They don’t deny they exist they just choose not to make them the focus of their lives. I felt ashamed of my own indulgent behavior and realized that if I want to make the next phase of my life count for anything I need to get off the self-pity wagon and into a water walking class. I need to push myself to remain as active as possible. I need some of THEIR endorphins!

Corinthians 4:16

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.

1 comment:

schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Interesting thoughts. Your post was linked to Ronnie Bennet's blog today.(How I found you.) Dianne