Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pumpkin Pie


In 1969 it was my first Thanksgiving as a newlywed and I was determined to cook a Thanksgiving feast for my new husband even though my culinary skills were lacking and to date I had only recently mastered grilled cheese sandwiches.  But that wasn’t going to discourage my optimism and the first thing I decided to make was a pumpkin pie from scratch.  
So the first thing I did was go to the store and pick out 3 stately looking pumpkins and brought them home.  I had already prepared 3 pie crusts and though they were a little burned around the edges they looked almost edible.

 Next I cut one of the pumpkins in half but to my dismay I found I had a defective pumpkin.  So I opened the second pumpkin only to find it was also defective.  After opening all 3 pumpkins and finding them all to be flawed I went back to the store to get more and to make the store management aware of their produce issue. 

When the helpful checker asked what was wrong with the previous pumpkins I advised her that upon opening none of the pumpkins contained pie filling just strings and seeds!

5 comments:

Olga said...

That is too funny!

My brother's first pumpkin pie was made with fresh sliced pumpkin--like sliced apples--because I guess he couldn't find the pie pumpkins that have that filling in them. It was good.

I am sure the grocery clerk told that story for years.

Muffy's Marks said...

and while you were looking for pumpkin, I was roasting turkeys, cavity bags and all. We've come a long ways baby!!!! (only took us 40 years)

kenju said...

HAHA....sounds good to me.

marciamayo said...

What a great story. Early in my married life, I tried to shell green beans.

Unknown said...

an American classic!!! :)

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick