Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My daughters met their 1/2 brother for the first time last weekend.  They all met for lunch in Ft. Worth, Texas which was about 1/2 way for all of them.  The girls were really excited to meet Jay and his wife and I was happy for them too.  

They shared pictures from their meeting and Jay is a very handsome young man.  He's 28 years old and a police officer in College Station, Texas.  His wife is an occupational therapist.  They are already planning their next visit.

I had mentioned before when the girls first got in contact with their 1/2 brother that I was surprised by the feelings it provoked in me.  I have absolutely no ill feelings for my ex's children but it did bring up a lot of sad memories for me.  I'll never understand why my ex literally abandoned our daughters.  It's hard to hear about how he has been a father to these two younger children and not again wonder how he was able to walk away from our daughters.  It still hurts.

Thankfully my daughters are OK with it all.  They have no desire to see their father but they want to know their 1/2 siblings. 

Maybe I feel some sadness because this is something I can't be a part of or at least not at this time.  I hope I get to meet Jay some day and that it wouldn't make him feel awkward  or uncomfortable.

It's amazing how much divorce can affect a person.  Even if it was 37 years ago.  The pain experienced from one person's rejection changes you forever. 

2 comments:

Olga said...

I had a friend who met her half sister at the age of 58--didn't even know about her before that.

I was not devasted by my own divorce, but the effect on family still brings pangs.

Muffy's Marks said...

I hope as time goes on, you do get to meet your children's 1/2 siblings! Perhaps once you meet them you'll feel differently!