Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fighting the healthcare maze

I'm having to make an executive decision today concerning Mike's care.  It all started when his doctor changed at the Indian Health Clinic.  His former doctor resigned and his new doctor is uncomfortable signing a physician's order for the home health nurse to come every week.  The order is required for Medicare to pay for the service.  His new doctor believes his psychiatrist should sign the order.  That's all good except the psychiatrist that sees him through Community Mental Health will not call me back.  It's a state run agency and they are pretty bad if you ask me.  But when you are desperate for help you take what you can get.

Well, the Indian Health Clinic also has a psychiatrist who can see Mike.  This would allow his care to be more comprehensive.  The down side is they are an hours drive away.  It will be disruptive for Mike initially but I think it would be better in the long run.  Right now it appears to be my only option.  Mike is OK with the idea right now but that can change in a flash.  Anything that disrupts his routine really shakes him up.  I will have to dispense his medications until we can get the psych. nurse back.  It always scares me to death because I'm afraid of making a mistake but I just have to do the best I can.  Ron usually double checks me and we somehow get it done together.

So, I'm trying to arrange all this from work and thank goodness our administrator is very understanding about my situation.  I probably wouldn't get the support I do if I worked anywhere but here.

I'm really taking a leap of faith switching Mike to a new psychiatrist. They are a strange breed of doctors and you just never know what their philosophy will be.  His present doctor never really talks to Mike.  He just rambles on about himself and says "I'll see you again in 6 weeks."  I hope the new doctor will at least spend some time with Mike.   

3 comments:

Olga said...

May God bless you for all you do.

Arkansas Patti said...

Mike's new doctor has to be a step up. That other one should be stripped of his license.

Unknown said...

It is beyond frustrating how one change ripples through so much we all have set up and in place for care.

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick