Monday, September 26, 2011

A House Divided

I think I've mentioned in the past that Ron and I are on opposite sides of the fence politically.  Sometimes it can be very tricky to remain respectful of our differences of opinion.  I admit that it is probably harder for me to remain respectful than it is for him.  I can't help it....when I hear something that sounds just plain stupid I can't seem to hide my shock and ahh.  This leads to the comment "Liberals just think they are superior".   I've never thought I was superior..........just smarter.  Maybe that is thinking I'm superior.   I just struggle with wondering why people continue to vote against themselves.  Why do they want to continue making the rich, richer and the poor, poorer including themselves?  

A very conservative co-worker constantly talks about the horror of socialized medicine.  Now, as a state employee his health insurance is paid 100%....doesn't cost him anything.  Yet, he only goes to the Veteran's Hospital for medical care.  Isn't that the biggest form of socialized medicine?  I asked him once why he goes there and he answered, "Because it is free, I don't have to pay any co-pays".  My question was "Well then why don't you want the same option for the rest of us?" 

Why is it that conservatives talk about those free loading people who want everything for free but are the first ones to take advantage of any program that will save them money.  Ron is against socialized medicine but when his own daughter and her family were unable to afford health insurance he sure didn't tell her to turn down the free care provided by the state.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  Either you are for it or against it.......which is it?

I just hate election time.......I can't wait to be bombarded by all my conservative friends with all the crazy emails and wild rants and accusations.

3 comments:

kenju said...

AMEN. I hate election time too, although I have conservative friends who bombard me with that crap all year long.

Live and let live, I say.

Arkansas Patti said...

Good luck. That has to be frustrating. Listening to the commentators is hard enough, I can't imagine living with someone so far right.

Olga said...

Yeah, I live this as well. How can anyone I love and respect so much be...sometimes...so wrong?