Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cooking and Allergies

My attempt to find recipes that my brother can eat is becoming an increasingly difficult struggle.  The list of allergies makes it hard and then throw in his aversion to chickens and it only gets harder.

Mike is allergic to all dairy.  No milk, no cheese.  Thank goodness he can eat eggs.

He is allergic to grains such as soy, wheat, oats, etc.  Rice hasn't seemed to bother him so far.

He's allergic to tomatoes. 

So finding a recipe that doesn't contain something on the list is really hard.  Casseroles almost always call for milk or cheese.  

I'm going to try Rice Dream (dairy alternative) and see if he has a reaction.  My luck he won't have a reaction but he just won't like the taste.  But, even if he doesn't want to drink it I might be able to use it as a dairy substitute in a recipe or two.


I'm also looking for a non-dairy sour cream alternative.  So far, no luck.  If you know of something that is non soy and non dairy let me know.


I found this recipe that may work.
    Meatball Stew
1/2 - 1 lb ground beef
2 carrots
1 large potato
1 onion
3 (1 ounce) packets McCormick's brown gravy mix)
2 teaspoons Season-All salt, to taste.


Cube the potato, pieces should be smaller than dice size.
Slice the carrots or use a bag of baby carrots instead.
Dice the onion
Place all vegatables in a 2.5 quart oven safe crock (with lid)  Leave 2 inches of space at the top.
Roll beef into balls.  No larger than 3/4 inches in diameter.
Gently put the meatballs on top of the beggies to avoid crushing them
Heat the oven to 400 degrees
Follow instructions on the gravy packets to make 3 cups of grave.
When gravy is done, stir in some Season All to taste and put it slowly into the crock.  Make sure meatballs are covered.
Cover with lid and bake for 1 - 1.5 hours.  Open and gently stir occassionally.
(You may want to put a piece of foil or foiled covered cookie sheet on the rack below, as this tends to drip over once it begins to boil.)


Maybe this will work!!!!!!!!!!!  I welcome any recipes!

3 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Bless your heart. I have a friend like that. I have told her I would weed her hundred acres before I would attempt to cook one meal for her.
Sure hope that recipe works.

Olga said...

Good grief, that is one load of restrictions.

marciamayo said...

more angel wings for you Dani!