Friday, December 17, 2010

I talked to Mike yesterday and told him I felt that the possible benefits of the electroconvulsive therapy outweighed the possible risks in my opinion but that I support any decision he makes.  He sounded so much better and said his depression has greatly improved.  Right now I think he is leaning toward NOT having the treatment but as I said to him it doesn't mean he can't change his mind in the future.

I also told him that I will be living with him from now on and he sounded so relieved.  I'm glad I was able to give him that reassurance.  I know this will not be easy but I'm going into it with an open heart and asking God to give me all the patience I will need.  After what he has been through and myself included this is a no brainer decision.  

I was thinking last night about how we attach ourselves to material things and for me it is my little house.  It isn't fancy but it is my sanctuary.  I have put so much of myself into my home, it is where I raised my babies, mended my heart and where I have now prepared a place to end my days.  But what I realize is that there is no place or material possession that matters more than someone you love.  Though it will be hard to leave and I'm not sure what is in front of me I am going to go forward and at the end of the day I will know I did my best.

7 comments:

kenju said...

That is a great sacrifice you are making. Is there no way he could live with you for the time being?

oklhdan said...

My mother's house (where Mike lives) is twice the size of mine. He has such a hard time with change it would be less disruptive for him if I move in with him.

Olga said...

You are taking on a humungus job. I wish you all the best in your mission of love for family.

marciamayo said...

Can you live with Mike but keep your little house to visit when you need a sanity check?

oklhdan said...

Marcia - that's what I'm going to do for now. I'm going to wait/see what happens.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am glad you are keeping your house also. Bless you for taking on this incredible job. I guess the song "He ain't heavy, he's my brother," defines you.
You are a very special person.

Friko said...

I wish you strength and a calm and steadfast heart.

Do keep your own home going, it is your sanctuary and will be there to go back to.