Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What's for Supper?

Gad, I've been thinking about food all day. I must be starving! I'm stopping at the store after work and getting what I need to make crockpot shrimp creole for tomorrow. It is a really simple version of the dish but it is great when you don't want to spend a lot of time on it.

Shrimp Creole in the crockpot
Serves 6
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1-1/2 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Tabasco sauce (a few drops)
1 to 1 1/2 lbs medium shrimp, deveined and shelled
White rice
Put all ingredients except shrimp in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours. Add shrimp and cook for an hour longer. Serve over boiled rice.
(my measurements are approximate. I just dump it all in. We like onions so I put a lot..you might like less.) The Tabasco can be substituted with about a tsp cayenne pepper. Make sure you leave the lid on the whole time. I serve this with French bread. Also, clean the crock immediately after making this or else it's a big mess!)

Mmmmmmmmmmmm it sounds so good to me. Can't wait to make it again.

I can't wait until I'm retired and have more time and inclination to cook. I love collecting recipes and love to try them out. If you have a favorite quick & easy recipe to share please do!

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

Sounds good. Aren't you scared to go to the store hungry? That is when I buy everything in sight.
You will love retirement for that very reason. Just remember to kick up your activity level when you retire for all that food sticks like glue, terrifying our scales.