Monday, August 24, 2009







We went to see the traveling Vietnam memorial on Saturday. I'd love to see the one in Washington but since I'm not sure that will ever happen I was happy to see this one. We found the names of 3 of our high school classmates. One of them we had known since grade school, John Michael (Mike) Tiffany, Charley L. Mount and William (Bill) Blair Jr. All 3 of them inlisted in the Marines right out of high school and were in Vietnam less than 6 months when they were killed. Soooooo young! Charly sat in front of me in my sophomore English class and he was so funny. Just a regular class clown. Mike Tiffany went to grade school with Ron and I we had known him the longest. I actually had a crush on him for awhile in Jr. High. I didn't know Bill Blair as well but he was a closer friend of Ron's. All good young men who didn't get a chance to live out their lives. We heard that Mike married his high school sweetheart before he left for Nam and that she had a baby boy after he died. That child would be over 40 years old now.

We got the results of Ron's CT scan and it showed a mass on his left kidney. They are still planning on scoping his bladder on Friday. I'm sure a biopsy will follow but I just don't how or when they will do it. So far he is feeling fine and now it is the wait and see game.

3 comments:

kenju said...

I sure hope that the biopsy turns out to be benign. I don't know if they can do a needle biopsy on a kidney, but that sure would be preferable to cutting.

oklhdan said...

I know it is one option but sometimes they just go after the kidney if the cancer markers are there. We'll just have to wait and see what his doctor suggests.

Arkansas Patti said...

The Nam stories are so touching. These were young men who were brothers, sons,fathers and friends. It is so sad to put faces to statistics.
Right now with you and Ron, the waiting and uncertainty is the roughest. Please keep us posted. Thoughts and prayers coming your way for good results.