Thursday, August 6, 2009

Social Security


My boss is turning 65 in Nov. and is now applying for social security. I never knew the process was so complicated. He's been reviewing options and paperwork and told me today that he has an appointment with the social security office this afternoon. He said they requested a copy of his birth certificate, which according to him, is not a standard requirement. I said, "How nice, they didn't think you looked your age?"
He replied, "No, they thought I was a year older."

Since I just turned 60 myself I guess I'll be looking at social security in a few years. The question is always, take it early (betting I'm not going to live long and want to cash in as much as possible)or wait and be optimistic that yes, I will indeed live a long life and will need that little extra each month. There is definitely a BIG difference between the two scenarios. One thing is for certain, with the cost of health care I will probably not be able to retire until I am eligible for medicare. So waiting until 66 for retirement seems to be the course I will take and since I'll be working I might as well wait to draw social security until 66 as well.

No comments: