Friday, January 23, 2009

This past Tuesday people around the world acknowledged the historical significance of the inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States. The significance of this event surpassed political parties. Unfortunately there are more enlightened people on the other side of the world than there are at my place of employment. Our hospital director actually wrote people up for standing in the hallway and watching the inauguration on the waiting room television. To say I was shocked by his attitude would be a lie for I have had to listen to the accusations of "baby killer, terrorist, illegal citizenship" etc. for some time. Half to irritate him and also because I wanted to witness this historical moment for myself, I turned on the television in our board room (which is adjacent to his office) during my lunch period. He immediately jumped into the room to say "There goes America as we know it".....my response..."We can only hope so" - the America that oppressed a race of people for no reason other than the color of their skin - It is time for that America to go!

1 comment:

Hughes ap Williams said...

Love your response! Most of us don't think of the perfect words until later when the moment has passed.