Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Bon Appetit

Because my brother is allergic to everything known to man and because I feel so darn sorry for him, I'm always on the lookout for recipes he can eat.  He is allergic to tomatoes and all things dairy.  One thing he really craves is spaghetti....so I found a no tomato spaghetti sauce recipe.  Now I had my doubts but I was willing to give it a try.  It's very simple.

2 (15 oz) cans sliced carrots, drained
1 (15 oz) can sliced beets, drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1/4 cup red wine vinegar.

You place the carrots and beets one at a time into a blender and blend smooth.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over med. heat.  Cook & stir garlic and onions until onions are translucent.  Stir in pureed carrots & beets then add the bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and red wine vinegar.  Cover and cook until the sauce begins to boil.  Remove lid and reduce heat to low.  Simmer up to 4 hrs or at least 30 minutes.

Now, I found the sauce a little think so I thinned it with some vegetable broth.  Could use beef broth too I guess.   Then I added some browned hamburger crumbled to make a meat sauce.  

I served to my ginney pig, I mean Mike, and he loved it!  I can't tell you what I thought about it because I couldn't get past the idea that it was beets......I don't like beets.  But if Mike's happy, I'm happy!

I'm going to use the same recipe to try and make a pizza for him.  I learned of a non-dairy cheese, Daiya cheese.  There are a lot of options such as shredded, block, sliced in a lot of flavors as well.  They say it melts like real cheese so it might be worth trying.  I'm sure it is expensive though.  But I'll give it a try!



1 comment:

Olga said...

That is an amazing recipe. I am so glad Mike liked it after you made the effort!