Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hell hath no fury like a woman who just had her jewelry stolen

A former co-worker was the victim of a robbery yesterday.  She had worked as the receptionist at our hospital for more than 20 years before her retirement a few years ago.  She is now in her late 60's and yesterday she interrupted a burglary in progress at her home when she returned from grocery shopping.  She stepped into her house and came face-to-face with a 23 year old man robbing her of her jewelry.  She looked at him and said, "You fool" and then was shot by the intruder with her own gun.  She was hit in the shoulder and managed to get to her neighbor's house after the intruder ran out with her jewelry in hand.  I saw the news report on tv last night.  The news reporter ended the story by saying the robber was apprehended about an hour later with the victim's "costume jewelry".  I had to get tickled knowing the victim as I do.  She will probably sue the TV station for telling the world it was "costume" jewelry. 

On a more serious note.....she was very lucky he didn't kill her.  This is exactly why I do not have guns in my house.  I refuse to furnish someone with a weapon to kill me with.  I think people forget that the "bad guys" have the element of surprise on their side.  Unless you are armed 24/7 and sitting in front of the door waiting for an intruder your guns probably won't be of much help to you.  This particular intruder was a scrawny looking fella who crawled in through the doggie door. 

No comments: